Transition to School 2017
A school readiness program for children who will be entering grade primary this September! This program is offered during the summer months throughout Cumberland County schools in partnership with the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board.
What is Transition to School?
Starting school can be a confusing time. Both you and your child can be excited and nervous about this change. Even though your child may seem unsure about separating from you, they are in a stage of development which pushes them closer to independence and a desire to do things on their own.
What Will the Children do at Transition to School?
- They will have the opportunity to increase their social skills through interaction with their peers.
- They will work on fine motor skill activities such as using scissors, printing letters, drawing, gluing, and painting.
- They will become acquainted with the routines of the school and the primary classroom.
- They will learn to recognize their name an have fun with letters and numbers.
- They will learn to hang their coat, lunch time routines, organize as a group for activities, and how to cooperate with others.
- All learning opportunities will use a child-centered, play based approach and include activities that are motivating and fun.
NOTE: The Transition to School program does not replace any orientation or transition sessions being offered by your school.
To register your child or get more information, please call us at 902-667-7250.
– The program runs at the school your child will be attending from 10am-2pm each day except for the last day that has a closing ceremony at 1pm that parents/guardians/caregivers are invited to attend.
– On the first day, please arrive a few minutes early and you will be asked for a list of persons who have permission to pick up your child.
– Please send with your child a bag lunch, a change of footwear, a change of clothes, and a water bottle.
– Please apply sunscreen/bug spray to your child prior to arrival.
– It’s a good idea for your child to have a snack prior to arrival.
Check out our Calendar to see when Transition to School (TTS) is in your area!